This is a quick, no-cook sauce made with fresh fennel and cherry tomatoes that’s perfect to serve on top of crusty bread for a quick and easy bruschetta or crostini, but it is perfectly adaptable to be served on top of pasta, used on tortillas, or pretty much anything you want to serve with a red sauce.
- Slices of sturdy, crusty bread (we prefer sourdough), at least one per person
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- A big handful of fresh basil (about 8 or 9 leaves)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Balsamic, to taste and for drizzling
- Chopped fresh fennel greens, for garnish (or some other fresh herb, chopped fine)
- Place bread in a toaster oven or conventional oven until crisp; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a powerful blender or food processor, combine tomatoes, garlic, basil and olive oil; pulse a few times, just until chunky. Add salt and pepper and around a tablespoon of balsamic, to taste; blend again; taste; adjust if needed.
- Spoon tomato sauce onto toasts, drizzle balsamic on top and sprinkle chopped fennel greens above that.