Serve up this classic German onion tart to change up your ordinary fare. Add a green salad or roasted veggies, it makes a tasty choice for for lunch or dinner anytime of the year. Enjoy the savory and delicious combination of onions, bacon, and creme fraiche in every slice.
For the crust:
- 7 ounces flour (200 g)
- 3 1/2 ounces cold butter (cubed (100 g))
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 ounces creme fraiche (100 g)
- 5 ounces bacon (150 g) ((optional))
For the filling:
- 1 1/4 pounds onions (600 g)
- 1 1/2 ounces butter (40 g)
- 5 ounces creme fraiche (150 g)
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
To make the crust:
- Place the flour in a large mixing bowl. Add the butter, salt, and creme fraiche, and knead to form a dough. Place in the refrigerator to rest for 2 hours.
- Grease a 10-inch springform pan or tart pan. Roll the crust out and line the pan with it. Stick it with a fork a few times and put in the fridge for one hour to rest.
- Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C). Cover the cake crust with a sheet of parchment paper or foil. Add pie weights, rice, or dried beans to blind-bake the dough. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove the weights and the paper, and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Leave in the pan to cool on a wire rack.
To make the filling:
- Melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Halve and finely slice the onions, and turn the heat down to low. Sauté in the pan until soft (they should not become brown).
- If you are using the bacon, dice it or cut it into strips and combine it with the onions. Season with salt and pepper, and take off the stove. Spread the mixture in an even layer on the base of the crust.
- Separate the eggs, discarding one of the whites (or reserving it for another use). Whip the egg white until stiff.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the creme fraiche and egg yolks together. Fold the egg white into the yolk mixture. Pour the custard mixture on top of the onions.
- Baked in a 390°F oven for 40-45 minutes, until golden brown.
- Category: Savory Tart
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: German
Keywords: German Food, Onion Tart, Oktoberfest, Octoberfest