Allison M. Sidhu is a foodie from Philly who is based in Los Angeles, where she loves exploring the local restaurant scene with her husband. She holds a master’s degree in gastronomy from Boston University.
Food and writing have been lifelong passions, though the food came first. It does for everybody, really. Allison’s first word was “apple,” and the strength of her food-centric memories helps to fuel her writing. Allison still remembers the days when she was allowed to pull a chair into the kitchen to stand on, so she would be able to reach the counter. She’s not much taller now.
Allison has always loved cooking and baking, and her specialties include homemade pies, breads, and pasta. Before taking on the role of managing editor at Foodal and Gardener’s Path, Allison was a freelance food writer who created content for various food, nutrition, and farming-centric businesses, and she held the position of editor-in-chief at RENDER, a feminist food magazine. She also specialized in editing cookbooks and food memoirs for writers across the country. She’s a big fan of Italian and Indian cuisine, as well as craft beer and cocktails, seasonal eating, and sourcing ingredients from the local farmers market.
Allison’s areas of expertise include recipe development for special diets, food and agriculture policy, kitchen tips and food safety, nutrition and healthy eating, and the history of food. She’s also interested in dietary disease, issues surrounding food insecurity, fast food, small space gardening, food traditions and rituals, and the latest food trends. If she had to pick a favorite food, it would probably be homemade dark chocolate mousse with raspberries, served in edible chocolate cups…
… or spinach ravioli with white sauce from the fresh pasta place in her hometown…
… or a frosty iced coffee on a hot summer day…
… or a tart, sweet, juicy nectarine that’s so ripe you have to eat it over the kitchen sink…
… or thick slices of heirloom tomato slathered with mayonnaise and a sprinkling of sel gris, on a fluffy snowflake roll…
Okay, it’s too tough to pick just one!
When she’s not in the kitchen whipping up something tasty (or listening to the latest food podcasts while she does the dishes!) you’ll probably find Allison tapping away at her keyboard, curled up with a good book (or ready to dominate, with controller in hand, in front of the latest video game) on the couch, tending to her patio garden, or devouring a food-filled magazine at the beach.
- Foodal’s Favorite Cookbooks and Food Reads for Holiday Gift Giving
- Our Favorite Holiday Gifts for the Food Lover
- 25 of the Best Pumpkin Recipes for Autumn Flavor
- Pear Sorbet with Ginger-Infused Maple Syrup
- The Best Popsicle Molds and Makers to Beat the Heat
- Strawberry Blueberry Almond Crisp
- 23 of the Best Deviled Egg Recipes for Easy Appetizers and Using Up Leftovers
- 21 of the Best Chicken Wing Recipes for Your Game Day Get-Together
- Why Do We Drink Eggnog at the Holidays? A Short History
- A Christmas Classic: Candied Citrus Peel 3 Ways
- 67 Finger Food Appetizers that Are Perfect for Holiday Parties
- Love at First Smear: The Difference Between Salted and Unsalted Butter in Baking