An easy and delicious recipe for slow-cooked apple cider. Just combine the ingredients and walk away! And then, a recipe for caramel apple cider, with a shot of bourbon for the adventurous.
To Make the Cider:
- 10 medium sweet apples
- 3 dried cinnamon sticks
- 1 Tbsp whole cloves
- 1 Tbsp whole allspice
- 10 cups water
To Make the Drinks:
- Core and slice the apples, then place in a 6-qt slow cooker with the water, cloves, and allspice. Cover and cook on high for 8 hours.
- While the cider is cooking, make the caramel sauce. When finished, pour into a glass jar or heat-proof container and cover lightly to cool. Don’t screw a cap on too tight or you’ll have a fun time taking the cap off after it is done cooling.
- When the cider is finished, strain into a pitcher or a few large jars. You have a couple options here – for a semi-clear cider, you can strain it through a colander into a bowl (this is what I did). If you want it to be rather clear, strain in through some cheesecloth (this can take a while).
- To make the drinks, combine 2 tsp caramel sauce and 1 cup of the cider. Mix, taste, and add more caramel if you want.
- If you’re feeling frisky, add a shot of bourbon to the caramel cider, and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Category: Beverage
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Fall Drinks
Keywords: slow cooker, caramel, apple cider, autumn, beverage, drink, vegan, oktoberfest, thanksgiving, winter