Chase away the chill in the air by warming up with a mug of chestnut hot chocolate. This isn’t the sad powdered stuff, it’s the real deal.
- 5 oz pre-cooked roasted and peeled chestnuts (about 1/2 cup)
- 12 fl oz whole milk (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 whole vanilla bean
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 oz dark chocolate
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows (optional)
- Finely chop the chestnuts and place in a saucepan. Add the milk.
- Cut the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape out the pulp.
- Add the vanilla pulp, orange zest, and cinnamon to a saucepan, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil while stirring constantly over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Finely chop the chocolate and add it to the saucepan. Stir until it is completely melted. Add the honey and stir to combine.
- Blend the mixture in a food processor or blender until completely smooth, and divide between two mugs. You could also use an immersion blender right in the pan. Top with marshmallows if you like, and serve immediately.
Recipe by Nina-Kristen Isensee.
Nutritional information below includes optional marshmallows.
- Category: Family Friendly Beverages
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Christmas
Keywords: hot chocolate, roasted chestnuts, chestnut, chocolate