Rich and creamy homemade hot chocolate made with bars of bittersweet chocolate is a seriously decadent upgrade to the classic hot drink for wintertime.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate (60-75% cacao), chopped
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Marshmallows, for serving (optional)
- Heat the whole milk and half-and-half in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the milk reaches a gentle simmer, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the chocolate, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract. Continue whisking constantly until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth, another 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and distribute between mugs. Serve hot, topped with marshmallows.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Hot Chocolate
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Beverage
Keywords: hot chocolate