Craving a hot cup of cocoa? Gift your loved ones with a homemade mugful of happiness and make our hot chocolate mix in a jar.
For the Mix:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup powdered milk
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup miniature marshmallows (or dehydrated marshmallow bits)
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candy canes (optional)
For Hot Beverages:
- 80 fl oz hot milk or hot water (8 oz per mugful)
To Make the Mix:
- In one clean and dry quart-sized jar (or divided between 2 pint-sized mason jars), layer the sugar, cocoa powder, powdered milk, chocolate chips, and sea salt. Top with the marshmallows and crushed candy canes if using.
- Seal with a tight fitting lid.
- Print or hand write the instructions below on a label and affix to the jar with ribbon.
To Make the Hot Chocolate:
- Shake the cocoa mix vigorously.
- Place 2 tablespoons of mix in a mug. Stir in 2 fl. oz. hot water or hot milk until combined.
- Fill the mug with 6 fl. oz. additional hot water or hot milk. Stir to combine. Top with additional marshmallows as desired. Enjoy!
Nutritional information reflects beverage made with whole powdered milk and whole liquid milk. Low-fat or nonfat versions may be substituted.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Family-Friendly Beverages
- Method: No-Cook
- Cuisine: Winter
Keywords: Christmas, hot chocolate, hot beverages, holiday beverages, chocolate