Peeps-inspired bunny cookies will be your new Easter favorite to make every year. We cover sweet and tender vanilla sugar cookies with colorful sanding sugar, and pipe on cute eyes and noses.
- 1 batch sugar cookie dough for 15–20 cookies
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 batch royal icing
- Assorted food colorings
- 1 cup sanding sugar, assorted colors
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped dark chocolate, melted
For the Cookies:
- Prepare one batch of sugar cookie dough. Form into a large disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and place on a lightly floured flat work surface. With a rolling pin, spread and flatten out the dough until it is about 1/4 inch thick.
- Using a bunny-shaped cookie cutter dipped in flour, cut out shapes from the dough. Re-roll the dough once and cut again. Discard any excess.
- Transfer the cookie dough cut-outs to two sheet pans lined with parchment paper or silicone mats. Place the pans in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to chill.
- Remove from the refrigerator and immediately bake for 8-10 minutes. They will still be pale white and soft to the touch. Remove from oven. Let the cookies stand for 1 minute, then transfer them to wire racks to cool completely.
For the Decorations:
- Prepare one batch of royal icing to a flood consistency.
- Add your desired food coloring and stir to combine. Place in a piping bag fitted with a #2 tip.
- Pour the colored sanding sugar in a shallow bowl or plate.
- Outline and fill each cookie with the flood consistency icing. Quickly dip the entire surface of one cookie in the sanding sugar. Repeat with the remaining cookies. Place on a large, flat surface.
- For the bunnies’ eyes and noses, pour the melted chocolate in a piping bag fitted with a small round tip (#2 or #4). Pipe two eyes and a nose on each cookie.
- Let the cookies set at room temperature until the icing and chocolate are completely set and hardened, about 3 hours.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Baked Goods
Keywords: royal icing, cookies, Easter recipes, sugar cookie