Want to make your next pumpkin pie completely from scratch? Learn how to make homemade pumpkin puree. It’s simple, easy, and all-natural.
- 1 sugar pumpkin, 3-5 pounds
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil.
- Carefully cut the pumpkin in half lengthways using a large sharp chef’s knife. Start through the stem, into the middle, and through the bottom.
- With a metal spoon, scrape out and dispose of the seeds and stringy parts in the inside of each half.
- Place the halves cut-side down on the prepared sheet pan. Bake for about 1 hour until the flesh is tender and a fork can easily pierce through the flesh. Remove them from the oven and let cool completely.
- After the halves are cool, turn them around and scoop out the flesh, avoiding the skin. Transfer to a food processor or blender, and puree until smooth and thick, using a tablespoon of water at a time if it is too thick to mix.
- Use immediately, or store in the refrigerator or freezer in an airtight container.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Puree
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Condiment
Keywords: pumpkin, puree, fall, pie, Thanksgiving