Slowly bathed in butter, white wine, garlic, and oil, these savory artichokes are a melt-in-your-mouth appetizer you’ll never forget.
- 2 3/4 cups dry white wine
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter (1/4 cup)
- 4 large lemons
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 head garlic, peeled (about 6–8 cloves)
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, plus 1 teaspoon chopped for garnish
- 4 sprigs fresh oregano
- 4 large or 6 medium artichokes
- Crusty bread, for serving
- Squeeze about 1/2 cup of juice from 3 of the lemons, and reserve the juiced lemons.
- Add the white wine, vegetable oil, olive oil, butter, lemon juice, salt, peppercorns, red pepper flakes, garlic, leeks, thyme sprigs, and oregano to a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Trim off and discard the top third of each artichoke, rubbing each cut as you go with the juiced lemons to prevent browning. Using kitchen shears, snip off the top portion of any remaining outer leaves to remove the thorny tips. Pull away or trim off any discolored leaves.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel away the tough outer layer of the stems, and then cut each artichoke in half vertically through the stem. Discard the furry choke and small thorny leaves, cut lengthwise again so you have quarters, and immediately place each finished quarter into the liquid in the slow cooker, making sure to submerge them as much as possible.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours, or until the leaves easily pull away and the hearts are very tender. Season to taste with additional salt if necessary. Cut the remaining lemon into wedges for serving.
- Transfer the artichokes, leeks, and garlic to a serving platter, and drizzle some of the cooking liquid over the top. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature. Garnish with the reserved chopped thyme, lemon wedges, and crusty bread.
Please note that the nutritional info below is an estimate that includes all of the cooking liquid. Dipping is encouraged, but these calorie counts are skewed! It’s very unlikely that you will actually consume all of the butter and oil used in cooking this recipe.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 hours
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Slow-Cooker
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
Keywords: artichoke, garlic, leek, lemon