There’s nothing like the comfort of a tasty mini mac and cheese bite fresh out of the oven. The dish that you grew up with is now bite-sized.
- Cooking oil spray
- 1/2 lb elbow macaroni
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 4 oz)
- 1 cup whole milk mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 4 oz)
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Spray four 12-cup mini muffin pans with cooking oil spray. (If you only have one, just refill the pan and bake in batches.)
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions until al dente. Be sure to avoid overcooking, as the pasta will cook more while it bakes. Drain in a colander and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and continue cooking for 2 minutes while whisking constantly, to make a roux. Once golden brown, slowly pour in the milk, whisking constantly. Continue to cook, whisking for 5 minutes.
- Whisk in both types of cheese until they are melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Whisk in egg, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and mustard powder. Stir in cooked macaroni and continue to stir until combined.
- Spoon macaroni into the muffin cups in slightly rounded tablespoons, gently pressing it into the cups.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until golden. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pans for about 5 minutes. Gently loosen each bite from the cup using a butter knife, then lift from the pan. Serve warm.
Adapted from Food and Wine.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Bite-Sized
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Appetizers
Keywords: macaroni and cheese, cheddar, mozzarella