For a different take on stuffed mushrooms, this is the best party recipe. Not only are these little bites super tasty, they are incredibly simple to make.
- Cooking oil spray
- 20 large button mushrooms with stems attached*
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium white onion, finely minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil leaves, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese, divided
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- 10 ounces soft garlic herb cheese, room temperature
- 2 medium-sized Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Lightly grease a shallow 9-by-11-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Don’t forget to read our best methods for prepping your fungi before you get started on this recipe, for detailed tips! Prepare the mushrooms by rinsing them well under cold water. Rub off any dirt, and gently pop out the stems. Pat the caps and stems dry with paper towels.
- Arrange the whole mushroom caps upside-down in the prepared baking pan, in an even layer. Roughly chop the mushroom stems and set aside.
- Add breadcrumbs to a dry frying pan over medium heat. Toast evenly, being careful not to burn them. Remove pan from heat and transfer to a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to the same frying pan over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add onions, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Saute until the onions are softened and cooked through, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and 1 teaspoon freshly chopped basil, cooking until fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Stir in toasted breadcrumbs and 1/4 cup Romano cheese. Stir in lemon juice and mushroom stems. The mixture will be dry at first, but then it will moisten up as the mushrooms release their liquid. Continue to cook and stir until the mixture holds together, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and discard bay leaf.
- Add mixture to a medium bowl and set aside to cool slightly.
- Divide the soft cheese equally between each mushroom cap, filling each nearly to the top.
- Spoon the breadcrumb mixture evenly on top of each. Use the spoon to pack and shape each neatly. They will be mounded on top, kind of like an ice cream cone.
- Sprinkle with remaining Romano cheese.
- Bake, uncovered and in the center of the oven, for 15-20 minutes. The mushrooms should no longer be white and the topping should be browned.
- Let cool for a minute or two in the pan before transferring to a serving platter. Garnish with remaining freshly chopped basil and tomatoes.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Vegetarian
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Appetizers
Keywords: mushroom, breadcrumbs, cheese