Forget traditional meat and potatoes – it’s time to upgrade your comfort food repertoire with tender apple cider braised beef. Get the recipe now on Foodal.
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4–5 pounds beef brisket, or similar cut, trimmed of fat
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, thickly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed and coarsely chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 cups unfiltered apple cider, divided
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 apples, cored and sliced (I used Gala)
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp cold water
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325˚F.
- Place a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season beef on all sides with salt and pepper. Melt butter in the Dutch oven, then add the beef. Cook until well browned on all sides, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer beef to a plate.
- Add olive oil to the pan. Add the onion to the pan and saute until soft and golden brown. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until fragrant. Pour in 1/4 cup apple cider to deglaze and scrape up any browned bits, or fond, from the bottom of the pan. Place the brisket back in the pan, along with the rosemary, thyme, the rest of the apple cider, and the apple cider vinegar.
- Bring to a simmer, then cover and place in the oven. Cook for 2 ½-3 hours, or until tender. Add the apples to the pan 30 minutes prior to the end of the cooking time.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let cool slightly, then skim off any fat that has accumulated on the top. Transfer beef, onions, and apples to a plate or serving platter. Discard rosemary and thyme sprigs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and cold water until combined. Add the slurry to the remaining sauce and stir occasionally over medium heat until slightly reduced and thickened, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the beef, onions, and apples back to pan, or slice and serve on a platter alongside the sauce, with fresh parsley for garnish if you like. Enjoy immediately.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Braising
- Cuisine: Dinner
Keywords: brisket, beef, apple cider, apple, autumn