The crust on these Mediterranean steaks creates a flavorful new take on the classic protein entree. The topping is simple, but the flavor is sure to wow.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (plus 1 teaspoon if using fresh spinach)
- 1 pound fresh spinach leaves (or one 10-ounce package frozen)
- 4 New York strip steaks (2 1/2-3 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato pesto
- 1/4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- If you are using frozen spinach, thaw it completely and squeeze out all excess moisture. Add to a bowl and set aside. Skip the next step if you use frozen spinach.
- If you are using fresh spinach, add 1 teaspoon olive oil to a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat. Once it’s hot, add the spinach. Turn the leaves over in the pan a couple of times to coat them in oil. Cover the pan and cook for 1 minute, stir, then cook for another minute. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl. Set aside.
- Season steaks on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat a large cast iron skillet or other oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat and coat the pan with a teaspoon of olive oil. Once it’s hot, add the steaks and cook 2-3 minutes per side.
- Preheat broiler.
- While the steaks are cooking, add the feta, pesto, and breadcrumbs to the bowl of spinach. Stir to combine.
- Cover the steaks evenly with the spinach mixture. Place the skillet under the broiler for about 5-7 minutes, until a lightly browned crust forms on top. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 17 minutes
- Category: Steak
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Beef
Keywords: Mediterranean, steak, pesto, feta, spinach, sun-dried tomato