The best slow cooker barbacoa is a dish that does so much more than simply sitting on a plate. It’s versatile, flavorful, and oh-so-tender.
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 –2 1/2 lbs tri-tip, London broil, or sirloin beef
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- In a small bowl, stir together cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Rub the beef with the seasoning mixture.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and coat it with the oil. Once oil is hot, sear the meat on all sides. This should take approximately 1 minute per side.
- Place the beef in the slow cooker. Pour the diced tomatoes over the top.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. Shred the meat into pieces and stir to combine with the juices in the slow cooker before serving.
- Serve in flour or corn tortillas with your favorite toppings.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Category: Beef
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
Keywords: Tex-Mex beef, slow cooker barbacoa, Instant Pot