The easiest focaccia recipe out there! Parmesan cheese (or vegan parmesan) is mixed into the batter and sprinkled on top, with Italian herbs and coarse sea salt. All together, this takes less than 2 hours to make and will WOW the whole family!
For the Dough:
- 12 3/4 oz (3 cups) all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 oz (1/2 cup) semolina flour, or more all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 12 fl oz (1 1/2 cups) warm water
- 1 1/4 oz (3 Tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 Tbsp semolina flour
- 3 Tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp dried Italian herbs
- coarse salt
To Make the Dough:
- Combine the all-purpose flour and semolina flour with the yeast in the bowl of an electric mixer, and mix to combine. Add the salt (don’t add the salt and the yeast at the same time!) and mix well.
- Add the water, olive oil, and parmesan cheese. Beat with the paddle attachment for 60-90 seconds, until the dough is uniform and very sticky.
To Form and Finish the Loaf:
- Generously spray a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray, then drizzle about 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil on the pan (for a crispy crust). Sprinkle the semolina flour over the oil.
- Dump the dough into the pan and spread with oiled fingers to the corners of the pan (it’ll be ugly – don’t worry!). Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 50-60 minutes, until very puffy and doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- When the dough is done rising, oil your fingers and drizzle another the remaining olive oil on top, then gently poke the dough all over to achieve the characteristic indentations. Sprinkle the remaining parmesan cheese (or vegan parmesan) and Italian herbs on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes, rotating halfway through, until your kitchen smells heavenly and the focaccia is golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire cooling rack. Let cool for 20 minutes, then serve.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: focaccia, bread, parmesan