Looking for a healthy, homemade bread recipe? This whole wheat pecan bread with dried blueberries is perfect on its own or as a sandwich.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, plus more for greasing
- 1 cup lukewarm water*
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces, toasted
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
- 3 cups (340 grams) white whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
- Unsalted butter (optional)
- Lightly grease a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine all ingredients except the butter and stir until a soft dough forms.
- Using a stand mixer, beat the dough until it no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl and becomes more firm.
- Switch mixer attachment to a bread hook and knead dough for 7-10 minutes, until smooth and slightly sticky.
- Transfer dough to the greased bowl, cover with a damp tea towel or plastic wrap that’s been lightly greased, and allow dough to rise for 1-2 hours. It should be puffy and nearly doubled in size.
- Lightly grease an 8 ½-by-4 ½-inch loaf pan and set aside.
- Gently deflate the dough and transfer to a lightly greased surface. Shape dough into an 8-inch log and transfer it to the prepared loaf pan.
- Tent the pan with greased plastic wrap and let rise again for 1-2 hours, or until it’s risen 1-2 inches above the side of the pan.
- Once bread is almost done rising, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place bread in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Cover with aluminum foil and continue to bake another 15-20 minutes, or until lightly browned and the bottom of the bread sounds hollow when tapped. If you have a thermometer, the inside of the bread should reach 190°F.
- Remove from oven and carefully remove from the pan and transfer to a cooling rack. For extra flavor, gently rub a stick of butter over the top before it cools.
*may need an extra 2 tablespoons in the winter or in drier climates
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35-40 minutes
- Category: Bread
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Baked Goods
Keywords: bread, whole wheat, white whole wheat flour, dried blueberry, pecan