You don’t have to buy a loaf of whole grain bread at the store when you can make our light and fluffy version with oats and seeds right at home.
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon instant dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water, around 100°F
- 1 tablespoon raw sunflower seeds, divided
- 1 tablespoon raw pumpkin seeds, divided
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds, divided
- Olive or vegetable oil, for greasing
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 1 tablespoon rolled oats
- Whisk together all the flours with the sugar, salt, and yeast in a large bowl.
- Form a small well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the water. Using a pliable bowl scraper or clean hands, pull the flour mixture into the water and slowly work the ingredients together. Once the water is incorporated and the flour has formed a shaggy dough, turn it out onto a clean counter.
- Cover the dough with a clean, damp kitchen towel. Let the dough rest for 15 minutes to soften the bran and germ.
- Remove the towel and knead the dough by hand for 8-10 minutes. Add half of the sunflower, pumpkin, and flax seeds, and knead for an additional 2-5 minutes, until the dough forms a smooth ball and you can perform a successful windowpane test.
- Place the dough in a large, lightly oiled bowl. Cover with a damp towel. Allow to rest at room temperature for an hour, or until doubled in size.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a clean counter. Shape into a large round and place in the center of a rimmed half-size baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Cover with a damp kitchen towel and let proof at room temperature for about an hour, or until you can touch the top lightly and it springs slowly back into place.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Combine the remaining seeds with the oats in a small bowl.
- Remove the towel and lightly brush the outside of the dough with the whisked egg. Sprinkle the seed and oat mix on top.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until the inside of the bread reaches 180°F.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Baked Goods
Keywords: whole wheat, whole grain, bread, oats, seeds