For a delicate start to any morning, try sauteed asparagus and creamy mozzarella enveloped in a fluffy, buttery French omelet.
- 1/2 pound thin asparagus, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 6 large eggs
- 1/3 cup half and half (or 4 tablespoons heavy cream)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (optional)
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel the bottom ends of the asparagus spears about 2 inches from the bottom. Discard shavings. Cut asparagus into 1/2-inch slices.
- Add eggs, half and half or heavy cream, salt, and pepper to a blender. Blend on high for 30 seconds. Set aside to rest.
- Add vegetable oil to a 10-inch nonstick pan, and place on low heat for 2 minutes.
- Swirl vegetable oil around the pan until fully coated.
- Add unsalted butter to pan and swirl to coat thoroughly. Turn heat up to medium-low.
- Add sliced asparagus and cook for 30 seconds, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Place the pan back on the stove and return to medium-low heat. Add the egg mixture, swirl the pan to coat it with the mixture all the way to the edges, and allow it to cook undisturbed for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle grated mozzarella and asparagus on one half of the egg.
- Turn off heat and allow cheese to melt for 3 minutes.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the egg over in quarters, repeating until folded into a flat roll.
- Set aside in the pan for 30 seconds. Cut in half.
- Garnish with chopped chives and/or lemon zest. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 minutes
- Category: Eggs
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Breakfast
Keywords: omelet, eggs, asparagus, mozzarella, cheese, chives, lemon, breakfast, brunch