With the arrival of spring, it’s time to refresh our palates with the bright flavors found in this tart and sweet berry breakfast bake.
- Nonstick cooking oil spray
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 1″ cubes (approx. 8 cups)
- 2 cups fresh berries
- 6 oz cream cheese, cut into small cubes
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, plus more for serving
- Powdered sugar, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Spray an 8×8” baking pan with cooking oil spray.
- Place half of the bread in the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle 1 cup berries on top. Distribute cream cheese evenly over the berries. Add remaining bread cubes on top.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, butter, lemon zest, cinnamon, and maple syrup. Pour egg mixture evenly over bread mixture. Sprinkle remaining berries over the top.
- Place pan on a baking sheet to catch any drips – this will puff up during cooking. Bake for 50-60 minutes, until set in the middle. Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve sprinkled with powdered sugar, with maple syrup drizzled over the top.
- Category: Casserole
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Breakfast
Keywords: breakfast casserole, French toast casserole, fresh berries, Easter, spring