We serve our spiced caramel apple scones warm with a drizzle of caramel sauce as a perfect breakfast, snack, or teatime indulgence.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup peeled and diced Granny Smith apple (1 large or 2 small apples)
- 1/2 cup prepared caramel sauce, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt together.
- Grate the butter with the coarse side of a box grater. Scatter the grates over the flour mixture. Use a pastry cutter or two butter knives to cut the butter into the flour mixture until a crumbly mixture forms that resembles coarse sand.
- In a small bowl, whisk the heavy cream, egg, brown sugar, and vanilla together. Pour the liquid ingredients over the flour mixture.
- Using your hands or a sturdy spoon, mix the ingredients together until a firm dough forms. Gently fold in the chopped apple pieces until they are evenly distributed.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. Using floured hands, form and flatten the dough into a 2-inch-thick disc and cut it into 8 even wedges.
- Dust off any excess flour and place the wedges at least 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Transfer the sheet to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until they are firm and golden brown around the edges.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and transfer the scones to a cooling rack to cool for about 5 minutes. Serve will still warm, drizzling caramel sauce over the scones just before serving.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Scones
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Baked Goods
Keywords: apple, caramel, sauce, scone, cinnamon