Topped with juicy roasted blueberries and slivered almonds, this einkorn porridge is a breakfast worth getting out of bed for.
For the Porridge:
- ½ cup einkorn berries
- 1 ¼ cups water or milk
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1–2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- Additional maple syrup or milk for topping (optional)
For the Roasted Berries:
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, rinsed (or frozen)
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- ⅛–¼ teaspoon ground cardamom, to taste
- Pulse einkorn 3-5 times in a high speed blender or food processor to crack them into smaller pieces. They should resemble steel cut oats.
- Place einkorn in a medium pot over high heat and toast for 1-2 minutes. Add 1 ¼ cups water or milk and salt; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 25-30 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. If the liquid has been absorbed but the einkorn is still too firm, add 1/4-1/2 cup more water or milk.
- While porridge is cooking, preheat oven to 400oF.
- Toss blueberries in maple syrup and cardamom. Place in a baking pan and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until berries have released their juices.
- Divide cooked porridge into two bowls and top with roasted blueberries, slivered almonds, and extra maple syrup or milk if desired.
Nutritional information below does not include optional milk or maple syrup for topping, for porridge made with water instead of milk.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
- Category: Porridge
- Cuisine: Breakfast
Keywords: einkorn, einkorn berries, blueberries, porridge, hot cereal