Made with einkorn flour, oat flour, and rolled oats, these homemade grapefruit honey scones are hearty and satisfyingly nourishing. Perfect for breakfast served with softened butter!
- 1 cup einkorn flour, plus more for dusting
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Zest of 1 grapefruit (about 1 1/2 tablespoons)
- Juice of 1 grapefruit (about 1/2 cup)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, oats, coconut palm sugar, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, and salt.
- Add the cubed butter to the dry ingredients. Using a pastry cutter, two knives, or your fingers, rub or cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles small, coarse peas.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together the yogurt, honey, and grapefruit zest. Add the yogurt mixture to the dough, mixing together with a spoon or your hands until all of the dry ingredients are just moistened.
- Mix in the grapefruit juice, adding it a tablespoon at a time, until the mixture forms a scone-style dough – it should be able to hold its shape without being too wet or too dry. You may not need to use all of the juice.
- On a lightly floured work surface, form the dough into a large, flat disc with a rolling pin or by hand. Slice the disc into eight equal triangles. Transfer to the prepared sheet pan, leaving space in between each piece. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until golden brown around the edges. Remove the oven and cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool for a few more minutes. Serve warm.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Scones
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Baked Goods
Keywords: scones, einkorn flour, grapefruit, oats, breakfast