Wake up to a tropical treat with these silver dollar pancakes. Every bite is infused with nutty toasted coconut and sweet, fresh orange.
- 1/4 cup shredded or desiccated unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided, plus more as needed
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Spread the coconut flakes onto a baking sheet in an even layer and bake, stirring once halfway through, until golden brown and toasted, about 3-5 minutes.
- Lower the oven temperature to 200°F.
- In a bowl, mix together the toasted coconut, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt 1 1/2 tablespoons butter. Whisk in the milk, egg, vanilla, and orange juice. Add the dry ingredients to the large bowl with the wet ingredients, and stir to combine. Fold in the orange zest.
- In a large skillet or cast iron pan over medium heat, melt about 1 tablespoon butter and swirl the pan to coat. When the butter begins to foam and sizzle, add a tablespoon-sized dollop of the batter to the skillet, and continue until the pan is filled, but not crowded.
- Cook the pancakes until they begin to bubble on top and are golden on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Flip each one over and cook until the other side is golden brown, about another minute.
- Keep the cooked pancakes on a baking sheet in the warm oven, and repeat with the remaining batter. Add more butter to coat the pan as needed.
- Top the pancakes with additional butter, maple syrup, or your choice of toppings. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Pancakes
- Method: Oven/Stovetop
- Cuisine: Breakfast
Keywords: pancake, coconut, orange