An easy frittata recipe using everyone’s favorite summer vegetable – zucchini! Some potatoes, red onion, and bell pepper round out the flavor, and parmesan cheese tops it off. It’s the perfect way to start a summer weekend.
- Peel and cut your potato into a small 1-centimeter dice (or be sure to scrub well if you’re leaving the peel on). Warm the margarine in a 10- or 12-inch cast iron or other oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes and cook until tender and slightly browned on all sides, about 8-10 minutes.
- Slice the red onion, cut the zucchini into half-moons, and dice the red bell pepper. When the potatoes are just about tender, add the vegetables and cook until they just start to brown and the zucchini just starts to get soft, about 4-5 minutes. Don’t overcook the squash – it’ll get watery.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl and mix in 1/3 cup of the parmesan cheese. Space the vegetables evenly around the pan and slowly pour the eggs on top. Crack some black pepper and sprinkle some salt on top of the eggs, and turn the heat down to medium. Cook until the eggs are almost set. The top should still be loose when the pan is tilted, with a firm layer below.
- While the eggs cook, preheat the broiler.
- Sprinkle the remaining parmesan over the eggs and place the pan about 2 inches below the hot broiler. Cook for 3-5 minutes until bubbly and browned on top. Remove, let cool for a few minutes, and slice to serve.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Frittata
- Method: Stovetop, Broil
- Cuisine: Breakfast
Keywords: egg, potato, zucchini, breakfast, brunch, frittata