There are few morning recipes out there that satisfy quite like a breakfast heap. It’s ridiculously simple to make and will fill you up.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4–6 Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 cup diced mild onion (about 1/2 of a medium-sized onion)
- 1 medium green or yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 10 precooked sausage links, thawed and chopped into small pieces (about 8 ounces)
- 8 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of crushed red pepper (optional)
- Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and cook, stirring and turning over occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Add the onion. Continue cooking while stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened and the potatoes are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, about 4 more minutes.
- Stir in the peppers and cook an additional 2 minutes. Add the sausage pieces to the pan and cook 1-2 minutes, until heated through.
- Move potato mixture to the outside edges of the pan. Add the beaten eggs to the center of the pan. Wait until the bottom of the eggs begins to set, then scramble lightly.
- Season with salt and pepper, and crushed red pepper, if using.
- Divide among four plates and serve.
- Category: Eggs
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Breakfast
Keywords: egg, sausage, breakfast, skillet, one-pan meal, pepper, onion, potato