Wispy fried potato shreds laced with sweet onions and parsley? Yes, please! These crispy latkes are the perfect choice for any time of day.
- 1/2 pound russet potatoes
- 1/2 pound sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup finely diced sweet onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Grate the potatoes using the largest holes on your box grater or the shredding disc of your food processor. Place in a clean dish towel and squeeze out as much moisture as you can.
- In a large bowl, add the dried potato shreds, onion, parsley, egg, salt, and pepper. Mix everything together with a fork, and then add the flour 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring continuously.
- In a large skillet or cast iron pan, heat about 1 inch of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Carefully drop forkfuls of the potato shreds into the oil and gently flatten them with a spatula. Cook until crispy and golden, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Place the cooked latkes on a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil. Sprinkle with an additional pinch of salt and serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
Keywords: latkes, potato, sweet potato, potato pancake, Hanukkah