This Vegan Apple Breakfast Cake has a tender, soft crumb, just enough sweetness to get your day going, and a bit of nutritious whole grain flour to round it out.
- 2 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 5 Tbsp water
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp vegan margarine (I used Earth Balance)
- 2/3 cup + 1 1/2 tsp vegan granulated sugar or coconut sugar, divided*
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, divided (plus more for optional frosting)
- 1 small apple, cored and chopped into 1-cm cubes
- Vegan powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine the flax seed and water in a small bowl to make a flax egg. Set aside.
- Combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Cut the margarine into 1-tablespoon chunks and add to the bowl of a stand mixer with 2/3 cup sugar. Beat on medium speed for about 2-3 minutes, until creamy and a bit fluffy. Add the vanilla and flax egg and beat again. Add 1/4 cup of the almond milk and beat to combine.
- Add about half of the flour mixture to the margarine mixture and beat on medium-low until just combined. Add the remaining almond milk and beat it in, then add the remaining flour mixture and mix until just combined (don’t overmix).
- Add the chopped apple and gently fold in with a spoon. The batter should be rather stiff, but not dry.
- Transfer the batter to a greased 8×8″ baking pan and spread to the edges with the back of a spoon or spatula.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 1/2 tsp sugar on top, then bake for 35 minutes, rotating halfway through.
- Test for doneness with a toothpick, and cook an extra 5-10 minutes if necessary.
- Let cool at least 10 minutes before serving. Frost with a simple powdered sugar and almond milk icing if desired.
If you prefer a sweeter cake, add an additional 3-4 Tbsp sugar to the batter.
Nutritional information below does not include the optional icing.
- Category: Baked Goods
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Breakfast
Keywords: vegan, apple cake, breakfast, apple