A quick, filling, and nutritious breakfast bar that you’ll want to make every week! Oats, almonds, and shredded coconut give these bars a satisfyingly dense texture without being heavy. These are great for breakfast, or a mid-morning snack with a cup of coffee.
- Cooking oil spray
- 2 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar, or coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup almonds, chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with a piece of parchment and grease with cooking oil spray.
- Mix the flax and water together in a small bowl to make a flax egg, and set aside. Combine the oats, flour, salt, baking powder, and turbinado sugar in a large bowl (larger than you think you will need). Add the almonds, raisins, and coconut and mix well.
- Melt the coconut oil in a glass 2-cup measuring cup or a heat-safe bowl in the microwave. Add the peanut butter and stir until thoroughly combined. Add the apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, flax egg, and vanilla, and stir well.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the oat mixture and stir well until all the ingredients are moistened. I find it easiest and most effective to use my hands – just dig in.
- Dump the dough into your prepared pan and spread it out evenly . Using your hands, press the dough down very firmly all round the pan. The harder you press, the better the bars will stay together when you cut them.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, rotating halfway through. They should be lightly golden on top and the sides should be just a bit crunchy. Let cool completely, then remove from the pan and cut into 12 equally sized bars.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Vegan
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Breakfast
Keywords: breakfast bars, oatmeal, vegan, healthy snack