A quick bread recipe that’s pretending to be cake! Flavors of fresh fall apples, pure maple syrup, and crunchy walnuts come together in this delicious breakfast or dessert. You’ll be in love!
For the Cake:
- 2 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 5 Tbsp water
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine, melted (I used Earth Balance)
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup chopped apple
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
For the Icing (optional):
- Vegan powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8×4″ loaf pan.
- Combine the flax seed and water in a small bowl to make a flax egg, and set aside to thicken for about 5 minutes.
- Combine the flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Place the melted margarine, the flax egg, and the maple syrup in a large bowl and mix well. Add the dry ingredients and stir until almost combined, then stir in the apples and walnuts (you want these to be in small-ish pieces). The batter is going to be a bit loose, but you can add a bit more flour if needed, just be careful not to overmix.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean (check at 40 minutes). Make optional icing while the cake is baking, if desired.
- Let cool completely, then carefully remove from the pan. Pour glaze over the top and let it set before slicing and serving, or serve as is.
Nutritional information below does not include the optional icing.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Desserts
Keywords: vegan, cake, vegan desserts, apple, walnut