The perfect ending to a spring or summer picnic, enjoy a slice of this fruity seasonal spelt cake. It’s so easy to bake and transport.
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 3/4 cup almond meal (or ground almonds)
- 3/4 cup sugar (or Sucanat)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- finely grated zest of 1 small lemon
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 1/3 cups chopped rhubarb
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons demerara or turbinado sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375°F, and line a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine spelt flour, almond meal, sugar, salt, baking powder, lemon zest, and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon. In a separate bowl, combine cooled melted butter and eggs. Whisk in milk and lemon juice.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet mixture, stirring briefly until combined. Do not overmix, or the cake will be heavy.
- Pour half of the batter into the tin. Scatter half of the chopped rhubarb over the top.
- Add the remaining batter, then cover evenly with the rest of the rhubarb. Sprinkle with the demerara sugar and the rest of the cinnamon.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, until the cake begins to pull away from the pan’s edges. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before opening latch to release cake from pan. Transfer the cake on the pan base to a wire rack to finish cooling. Sprinkle with a little more raw sugar before serving if desired.
Adapted from Waitrose.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Cake
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: rhubarb, lemon, spelt, cake, dessert, spring, summer, cinnamon