The most moist and tender 100% whole wheat vegan coffeecake you will ever eat! A minimal amount of sugar compared to other coffeecake recipes, flax seed, and totally vegan ingredients make this delicious treat a bit more healthy!
For the Batter:
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 t salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine (I used Earth Balance)
- 1 cup vegan granulated sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 5 Tbsp water
- 1/3 cup plain vegan yogurt
- 1 cup blueberries
For the Topping:
- 2 Tbsp cold vegan margarine (I used Earth Balance)
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp light brown sugar
To Make the Batter:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Transfer 1/2 cup to another bowl and set aside.
- Combine the ground flax and water in a small bowl to make a flax egg and set aside for a few minutes to thicken.
- Soften the margarine just a bit in the microwave (or leave out for a half hour or so). Add the sugar and extracts and whisk vigorously for 2 minutes or so until fluffy and creamy. Stir in the flax egg and yogurt.
- Add the dry ingredients (but not the 1/2 cup you reserved) to the wet ingredients. Stir with a large spoon until almost combined. Add the blueberries and fold into the batter.
To Make the Topping:
- Add the remaining 2 Tbsp margarine to the flour and work in with your fingers until it resembles sand. Add the cinnamon and brown sugar and toss together.
- Spread the batter out into a well-greased 9″ round pan or 8×8″ square pan. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the batter. Bake for 35 minutes, rotating halfway through. Let cool completely before serving.
For a non-vegan version, the same measurements of dairy products may be used in place of the margarine and yogurt.