This sourdough chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting is a delightful way to use up any extra sourdough starter you may have on hand.
For the Cake:
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1 cup milk (whole or 2%)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 cup natural cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs
For the Frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups creamy peanut butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons milk, plus more if needed
To Make the Cake:
- Add starter, milk, and flour to a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest at room temperature for 2-3 hours. It should expand by a third in this time.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9-by-13-inch metal pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together sugar, oil, vanilla, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder until combined.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the wet chocolate mixture to the starter mixture, and stir until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven. Set the pan on a cooling rack until completely cooled and ready to frost.
To Make the Frosting
- Add butter and peanut butter to a large bowl. Use a hand mixer to beat until creamy and well-combined.
- Gradually add powdered sugar on low speed until combined. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Stir in vanilla extract, salt, and milk until well-combined. Beat on high speed until fluffy, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- The mixture should be fluffy and creamy. If the frosting isn’t coming together and seems dry, add milk 1 teaspoon at a time, beating to incorporate after each addition.
- Frost cooled cake in the pan.
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: sourdough, starter, cake, chocolate, peanut butter