This luscious homemade peach jam – simply flavored with sugar, lemon, and fresh, juicy fruit – is a sweet and summery mouthful you’ll love.
- 3 pounds fresh ripe peaches (about 4–5 large)
- 1 package dry powdered pectin (approximately 1.75 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 5 cups granulated sugar
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and prepare a bowl of ice water nearby.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, carefully drop the peaches into the water, and blanch for 30 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, remove the peaches from the pot and transfer to the ice bath. Drain the pot, and set it aside off the heat.
- Once the fruit has cooled enough to handle it, use a paring knife to make a small incision in the skin of each peach and then gently peel the skins off. Remove any blemished portions from the fruit. Pit and roughly chop the peaches.
- Place them into a food processor, and pulse until the flesh is mostly broken down. Transfer them back into the large pot.
- Bring the peaches to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the pectin, lemon juice, and sugar and stir well to combine. Continuing to stir constantly, bring the jam to a full rolling boil for exactly 1 minute. Remove the pot from heat. Skim the foam off the top using a wide, shallow ladle or spoon.
- Heat a large pot of water over medium heat to sterilize the jars. Carefully submerge the empty jars (without the lids and rings) right side up into the pot, making sure the water is about 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Bring the water to a boil, and continue to boil the jars for 10 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat, but don’t drain it – you can use the same water to process the filled jam jars.
- Ladle the jam into the sterile canning jars, leaving about 1/4 inch of room at the top. Tightly screw on the lids, and process the jars in the boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
- Remove the jars from the pot (making sure that the lids have popped) and set them aside to cool completely before storing or refrigerating.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Jam
- Method: Stovetop, Canning
- Cuisine: Condiments
Keywords: peach, jam, fruit spread