For a guilt-free meal that you can enjoy anytime, this healthy quinoa casserole satisfies on all fronts. The gooey dish is filled with flavor.
For the Homemade Taco Seasoning:
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
For the Casserole:
- 1 pound lean ground beef (80 to 93% lean) or ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon coconut or olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups lightly packed baby spinach
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 2 cups tomato sauce or salsa
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- In a small bowl, stir together ingredients for the taco seasoning. Set aside.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add ground beef or turkey. Cook, stirring occasionally to break up the big pieces, until the meat is cooked through. This will take about 5 minutes for ground beef and 6 minutes for ground turkey.
- Transfer meat to a large bowl and drain any fat from the pan.
- Place the same pan back over medium heat and add the oil. Once it’s melted, add the onion and jalapeno. Saute until soft, stirring occasionally, about 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and spinach, and cook until the spinach is wilted, stirring occasionally for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add cooked vegetables to the meat and stir to combine. Stir in cooked quinoa, spice mixture, salsa, ½ cup cheddar cheese, and ½ cup Monterey Jack cheese until combined.
- Pour mixture into an 8-by-8-inch casserole dish (glass, ceramic, or metal). Sprinkle evenly with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Casserole
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
Keywords: quinoa, casserole, Tex-Mex, cheese, taco seasoning