When a craving for crunchy Chinese chicken hits but you’re looking to lighten up, make this sweet and spicy baked General Tso’s.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 4 cups crushed cornflakes
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 fresh Thai red chili (like a Bird’s Eye), thinly sliced into rings
- 4 scallions, white and light green parts thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons black or white sesame seeds (or a combination of both)
- Steamed broccoli and brown rice, for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Set up an assembly line of three bowls with a foil-covered baking sheet at the end sprayed with the nonstick cooking spray. Fill the first bowl with the flour, the middle one with the eggs, and the last with the crushed cornflakes.
- Dip a few pieces of the chicken at a time into the flour, then the egg, and then the cornflakes, pressing lightly so that the coating really sticks. Place the coated chicken pieces on the baking sheet, and generously spray with cooking oil.
- Bake 12-14 minutes, flipping each piece once halfway through, until the chicken’s crust is lightly golden all over.
- While the chicken is baking, whisk together the chicken broth, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, rice vinegar, honey, and ginger in a medium saucepot over medium-high heat.
- In a small separate bowl, whisk cornstarch with cold water. When the sauce comes to a simmer, add the slurry mixture, whisking as you pour. Stir until the sauce thickens, about 1 minute, and then remove from heat.
- Transfer the cooked chicken to a large bowl and add the sauce, chilies, sesame seeds, and scallions while tossing to coat.
- Transfer to a plate with the brown rice and broccoli or your choice of sides, and serve immediately.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Baking, Stovetop
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: General Tso, General Tso's Chicken, Chinese food, Chinese takeout