Brighten up your dinner with a tart, zesty punch. This tangy chicken is swimming with sweet balsamic vinegar and meaty mushrooms.
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 8 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced (cremini or shiitake)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1/2 cup low-sodium or homemade chicken stock
- Balsamic vinegar glaze, for garnish (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk together 4 tablespoons oil, 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, the mustard, the honey, 2 cloves minced garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add the chicken to a large resealable bag and pour the marinade over the top. Allow the chicken to marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour, or preferably for 2 hours.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon oil and swirl to coat the pan. Sear the chicken until golden brown and almost cooked through, about 2-3 minutes per side. Set aside on a plate.
- Wipe any excess liquid out of the pan and add 1 tablespoon butter. Add the spinach, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt, and saute until wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove the spinach from the pan and set it aside on a plate.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter to the pan. When the butter begins to foam and sizzle, add the mushrooms and remaining garlic. Saute, stirring often, until the mushrooms are golden brown, about 2 minutes. Season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1/2 tablespoon thyme.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high, and deglaze the pan with the chicken stock and remaining tablespoon of balsamic vinegar, scraping up any flavorful brown bits from the bottom. Bring the sauce to a simmer, and cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the remaining tablespoon of butter. Return the chicken breasts and their juices to the pan. Turn the heat down to medium-low, and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, occasionally spooning the sauce over top, about 3-5 more minutes.
- Divide the sauteed spinach among plates and top with even portions of chicken, mushrooms, and sauce. Garnish with balsamic syrup and the remaining thyme, and serve.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Dinner
Keywords: chicken, mushroom, balsamic vinegar, mustard