This chili lime chicken recipe is the ideal combination of poultry, rice, and black beans. You can turn it into burritos or enjoy on its own.
- 12 ounces dried black beans
- 2 canned chipotles in adobo, diced + 2 tsp adobo sauce
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp canola oil, divided
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup white long grain rice
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp lime zest
- Place beans in a large bowl and cover with 2 inches of water. Let soak overnight, or for at least 4 hours. Drain and rinse beans. For Instant Pot instructions to prepare the beans, scroll down to our “Cooking By the Numbers…” section below.
- Place beans in a stock pot and cover with 2 inches of fresh water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 35-45 minutes, or until beans are tender and cooked through. Drain. Stir in chipotles in adobo, adobo sauce, paprika, cumin, and lime juice. Set aside. (You can also cook the beans ahead of time and refrigerate for up to 2 days.)
- Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil over medium-high heat in the same pot the beans were cooked in. Add chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until chicken is cooked through. Transfer to the bowl that the beans are in and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add remaining canola oil to the pot. Add rice and stir frequently until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Add garlic to the pot and let cook 30 seconds. Stir in the chicken broth. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Let cook 15-20 minutes, or until rice is done.
- Add chicken, black beans, and lime zest to pot and stir well. Let cook about 5 minutes, until all liquid has evaporated.
- Spoon onto serving plates and enjoy warm. You can also roll this into flour tortillas and enjoy as burritos.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 25 minutes
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: One-Pot Meals
Keywords: chicken, one-pot, weeknight dinners, beans and rice