Craving a sweet and spicy Thai bowl you can curl up with at home? Piling this easy, creamy coconut curry over sesame-scented noodles will do the trick.
- 8 ounces thin rice noodles
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon minced or grated fresh lemongrass
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic, divided
- 2 fresh or dried bird’s eye chilies or small jalapenos
- 1/4 cup Thai red curry paste
- 2 14-ounce cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce, or to taste
- 3 limes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup scallions, white and light green parts only, cut into thin slivers
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro, torn
- 2 tablespoons crushed roasted peanuts
- Chili garlic sauce (optional)
- Cook the rice noodles according to package directions. Drain in a colander, rinse under cool water, and set aside in a separate bowl. Return the pot to the stove.
- In a deep, wide skillet or saucepot, heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and then sear until golden brown all over, about 2 minutes per side. Remove the chicken pieces with a slotted spoon and set aside on a plate.
- Deseed the chilies and cut into slivers. Turn the heat down to medium-low and add the lemongrass, ginger, 1 tablespoon of the garlic, and the chilies. Saute until very fragrant, about 2 minutes, then add the red curry paste and whisk to combine. Cook for about 1 minute, and then vigorously whisk in the coconut milk.
- Zest two of the limes and juice them, and cut the third one into wedges. Increase the heat to medium, return the chicken to the pot, stir to combine, and allow the red curry sauce to simmer for 10 minutes. Add the brown sugar, fish sauce, lime zest, and juice. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- In the pot where the noodles were cooked, heat the sesame oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the remaining tablespoon of garlic, scallions, and chili flakes. Saute until the scallions have softened, about 2 minutes, then add the noodles back to the pan.
- Toss the noodles with the sesame oil mixture and then divide among four bowls. Top each with even amounts of the red coconut curry chicken and then pour enough sauce into each bowl to cover the noodles. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves, crushed peanuts, chili garlic sauce, and lime wedges.
Note that nutritional information below includes all of the sauce, which you likely will not use to make 4 servings. Chili garlic sauce is not included in this calculation.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: curry, Thai curry, chicken curry, lemongrass, coconut milk