An essential dish for the home cook to master, our easy roasted chicken is a showstopper, with juicy meat and crispy skin.
- 1 4-pound whole chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive, avocado, or canola oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 cups water or low-sodium chicken stock, plus more as needed
- Kitchen twine, for trussing
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Remove giblets and rinse chicken well. Using a paper towel, pat the inside and outside of the chicken dry.
- Rub oil all over the skin. Liberally salt the inside and outside of the bird.
- Truss the legs with kitchen twine and place chicken breast-side up on a rack set into a roasting pan. Add 2 cups water or chicken stock to the bottom of the pan.
- Roast for 1 hour, or until the thickest part of an inner thigh registers 160-165°F. If the water has evaporated throughout the cooking process, pour more into the pan as needed.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a cutting board. Let rest for 15 minutes before carving. Make a pan sauce from the drippings, if desired.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Roasting
- Cuisine: Poultry
Keywords: chicken, roasted