Your weekly dinner rotation needs to include the best Easy Weeknight Chicken Marsala recipe. This elegant meal is surprisingly easy to make.
- 2 Tbsp + 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4–5 lbs)
- 1 cup all purpose flour (or cornstarch for gluten-free)
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 12 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup dry Marsala wine
- 1 cup low-sodium or homemade chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter (or dairy-free margarine)
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Trim the fat off the chicken breasts. Slice in half as though butterflying them, but cut all the way through to separate each breast into two thin pieces. Place the halves between two large pieces of plastic wrap, and pound so they are thin and even.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides, to taste. Let sit at room temperature for 10-20 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Combine flour or cornstarch with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Dredge each chicken piece lightly on both sides and gently shake off the excess.
- Place chicken into skillet and cook about 4 minutes on each side, or until cooked through and lightly browned. Remove from pan and place on a serving platter.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add 1 teaspoon olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the mushrooms. Cook until browned and the moisture has evaporated, flipping occasionally, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour in the Marsala and bring to a boil, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any bits of fond on the bottom of the pan. Continue to cook until reduced slightly, about 2-3 minutes. Add chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Stir, and cook until the sauce is reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in the butter, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour sauce over the chicken and sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or pasta with plenty of sauce.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Dinner
Keywords: chicken marsala, marsala wine, mushrooms, entree