Our baked buttermilk and crispy spelt chicken fingers aren’t like what your mom used to whip up when you were a kid.
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce
- 3 tsp garlic powder, divided
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken tenders, trimmed of fat
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup toasted breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- In a small bowl, stir together egg, buttermilk, hot sauce, and 2 teaspoons garlic powder. Pour this mixture into a large, resealable bag, and add the chicken.
- Seal bag, ensure that all of the chicken pieces are thoroughly coated, and refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. In another large, resealable bag, combine flour, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, remaining garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and baking powder.
- Remove chicken from fridge, remove pieces from marinade, and place them into the bag of breadcrumbs. Seal bag and shake to coat all the pieces.
- Coat a large baking sheet with 3 teaspoons oil. Arrange the crumb-dredged chicken pieces in a single layer without touching. Brush the tops with remaining oil.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until cooked through and an instant-read thermometer registers 165˚F, turning the pieces once halfway through.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Dinner
Keywords: Chicken, Chicken Fingers, Healthy Recipes, Finger Food, Baking, Game Day