To minimize a messy cleanup, make our Mediterranean chicken sheet pan dinner with juicy drumsticks and a savory mix of vegetables and seasonings.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound medium yellow waxy potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
- 2 red, orange, or yellow bell peppers, cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 1 small white or yellow onion, cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 6 bone-in, skin-on chicken drumsticks (about 1 3/4 pounds total)
- 1 lemon, quartered with seeds removed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place a rack on the upper third level of the oven. Line a rimmed sheet pan with aluminum foil.
- Using a mortar and pestle or spice grinder, coarsely grind together the fennel seeds, oregano leaves, red pepper flakes, and garlic flakes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together the potatoes, bell peppers, onion, tomatoes, and olives with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add half of the spice mix, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and mix again until all of the vegetables are evenly coated.
- Dump the contents of the bowl on the prepared sheet pan and spread out in a single even layer.
- Pat the chicken drumsticks dry with a paper towel and place in the same bowl. Toss with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Evenly coat the drumsticks with the remaining spice mix, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- Place the chicken on the sheet pan on top of the vegetables, arranging them with about 1 inch of space between each drumstick.
- Transfer the pan to the oven. Roast, rotating the pan halfway through, until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 175-185°F, about 35-45 minutes.
- Immediately turn the broiler on high. Broil the top of the chicken for 3-5 minutes, rotating the sheet pan if necessary for even broiling, until the skin is browned and crisp.
- Remove the sheet pan from the oven and allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes. Sprinkle the top with parsley and divide the chicken and vegetables among 6 plates. Drizzle any pan juices over the chicken, and serve.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Roasting
- Cuisine: Dinner