This quintessential French dish is a humble one-pan dinner. From the silky sauce to the earthy mushrooms, it’s an irresistible classic.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 3 lbs)
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 7/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sliced leeks, white and light green parts only (about 2 thin leeks)
- 2 cups sliced assorted mushrooms (such as shiitake or cremini)
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Season both sides of the chicken thighs with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Working in batches so you don’t overcrowd the pan, sear the meat for about 2-3 minutes per side until a golden brown crust forms. Set aside on a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the butter. Add the leeks and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and cook until translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook until the mushrooms are browned, about 3 more minutes. Season with the thyme, 1 tablespoon of the parsley, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Sprinkle the mushroom mixture with the flour, and whisk to combine. Cook until the flour is fully incorporated, about 1 minute, and then add the white wine. Scrape any browned bits, or fond, from the bottom. Whisk in the chicken stock, and add the bay leaf.
- Return the chicken pieces and all of their juices to the pan. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pan, and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 165°F, about 25-30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the pan and arrange them on a platter. Whisk the heavy cream into the sauce, and cook for 1 minute. Remove the bay leaf.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and garnish with the remaining parsley. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Stovetop, Roasting
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: chicken, mushroom, fricassee