Kick it into comfort mode with this dreamy chicken pot pie. Its flaky crust and velvety filing will make your insides happy.
- 2 large split bone-in chicken breasts
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 2 large leeks, stems reserved and white and light green parts sliced
- 1 dried bay leaf
- Coarse salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 1/3 cup frozen peas (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Homemade pie crust
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Add the chicken breasts, garlic, leek stems, and bay leaf to a large stockpot over medium-high heat and cover with water. Bring to a simmer, and cook until the poultry is fully cooked through, about 25-30 minutes. Using tongs, remove the chicken breasts and set them aside to cool.
- Remove and shred the meat, set it aside, and return the bones to the pot. Boil until the liquid has reduced by about half. Strain the stock, season with salt and pepper, return to the pot, and keep warm on the stove over low heat.
- In a large pan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the sliced leeks, celery, carrots, and thyme, and season with salt and pepper. Sweat the mixture until the onions are soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, add the flour, and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of the warm stock to the sauce, turn the heat up to medium, and continue stirring until the mixture has thickened. Add the half-and-half, and fold in the shredded chicken, peas, and fresh parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Add the pot pie filling to a 10-inch pie plate and lay your homemade crust over the top. Cut several slits in the crust and brush it with the beaten egg.
- Bake until the filling is bubbly and the crust is golden brown, about 35-40 minutes.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 50 minutes
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Comfort Food
Keywords: comfort food, chicken, pot pie