This basic savory congee recipe is perfect for anyone who wants to make the classic Chinese rice porridge at home. You’ll love the rich texture.
- 1 cup medium or long grain white rice, any type
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Your choice of toppings and garnishes
- In a large strainer with small holes, rinse rice under cold water until the water runs clear.
- Add rice and stock to a saucepan and place over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer over medium-low heat. Partially cover and continue to simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- If you are using cooked chicken, pork, or beef, stir it into the congee. Serve with your favorite toppings.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- Category: Rice
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: rice, congee, Chinese, porrige