A super easy 30-minute weeknight hamburger meal free of the usual additives and preservatives found in the boxed stuff.
- 1 pound elbow pasta (use gluten free if needed)
- 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
- 1/2 cup chopped mild onion
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour (or 1/4 cup gluten free flour mix)
- 1 cup milk
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain, and set aside.
- Cook ground beef in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat until it begins to brown.
- Add onion, and continue cooking until meat is done.
- Drain well, then return to the pan.
- Add basil, oregano, and garlic powder, and stir well.
- Add cheddar cheese, cream cheese, and flour to the pan.
- Pour in milk and tomato sauce. Stir well.
- Continue cooking over medium heat until the mixture comes to a low boil and begins to thicken.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes.
- Add the pasta to the pan and stir well to coat with sauce.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve hot.
This can also be made without the can of diced tomatoes, but the sauce will be a bit rich. The tartness of the tomatoes help to tame the richness of the cheese blend.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins