Do you love gnocchi, but want something different? Try this sweet potato version with a sage brown butter sauce and pecorino cheese.
- 2 cups sweet potato puree, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1 cup shredded pecorino cheese
For the Gnocchi:
- On a large flat surface or in a large bowl, combine the sweet potato puree with salt, nutmeg, and pepper. Add 1/2 cup flour at a time, mixing well with your hands after each addition, until the dough comes together to resemble a pasta dough. You may not need to use all of the flour. As soon as you have a soft, slightly elastic dough, shape it into a ball and divide it into 4 equal portions.
- Fill a large stockpot with water and a handful of salt. Place on the stove over high heat, and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, with floured hands, roll each of the four portions into logs with a 1/2-inch thickness. Dust with flour if the dough feels sticky.
- Use a floured knife or pastry cutter to slice the logs into 1-inch squares.
- Once the water is boiling, carefully add half of the gnocchi. Stir with a spoon for the first 30 seconds to prevent them from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Cook for about five minutes, or until the gnocchi float to the top of the water. Once they float, remove them with a slotted spoon and transfer to a large plate.
- Repeat the process with the remaining gnocchi.
For the Sauce and Assembly:
- Once all the gnocchi have cooked, prepare the sauce. Chop the butter into evenly sized cubes. Heat the butter in a saucepan on medium heat. Once it’s completely melted, add the chopped sage leaves. Keep on the heat until the butter darkens and smells nutty, then lower the heat.
- Place the half of the gnocchi in the pan, rolling them around for a minute or two to coat with butter. Remove them to a plate. Repeat with the second batch.
- Top gnocchi with shredded pecorino cheese and serve warm.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- Category: Gnocchi
- Method: Oven/Stovetop
- Cuisine: Dumplings
Keywords: sweet potato, sage, brown butter