These easy basil shortbread cookies are not only delicious, they are also gluten free. They hold their shape and are anything but plain.
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup unrefined cane sugar (Sucanat)
- 1 1/2 cups blanched almond meal
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped basil (about 5 leaves)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients with a spoon. Use your fingertips to form dough into a ball.
- On a clean work surface, form dough into a log about 5 inches long by 1 1/2 inches wide. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- While the dough chills, preheat oven to 350˚F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Slice firm, chilled dough into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Place on prepared baking sheets, spaced about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until golden. Cool on the pan for about 5 minutes before moving to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 mintues
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Gluten-Free
Keywords: shortbread, basil, gluten-free, almond