The healthy, grown-up alternative to fig newtons. A super easy recipe that is both gluten-free and vegan. Guilt-free bars that are amazing any time of day!
1 cup oat flour*
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp ground flax seed + 5 Tbsp water
1/3 cup extra virgin coconut oil
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups oats
1/2 cup Easy Homemade Fig Jam
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9×9″ baking pan and set aside.
- Combine the flours, starch, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Combine the flax and water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Melt the coconut oil in a large bowl, then add the bananas and mash with a fork. Take a whisk and stir vigorously until the coconut is fully mixed into the bananas and the mixture becomes creamy (almost like you whipped butter and sugar, just more liquid-y [is that a word??]). Add the maple syrup, vanilla, and the flax mixture and stir well.
- Stir the flour mixture into the wet mixture until no lumps remain. Add the oats and mix in using a large spoon.
- Add about half the batter to your well-greased pan and spread it out evenly on the bottom. Add the jam (find the recipe here or you can purchase it from the store) and spread this out on top of the batter without mixing it in (you may need a bit more than a half cup). Carefully dollop the remaining batter all around on top of the jam. Use the back of a spoon or your fingers to spread the batter out over the jam. This isn’t the easiest thing to do, but a bit of patience and hard work will pay off!
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until it just begins to brown on the edges. Remove from the oven and let cool before cutting. Enjoy!